a December quilt

I finally have a bit of room to breathe after a LOT of events and planning and all that happens between Thanksgiving and Christmas, especially when you work at a church. In the middle of all that I needed to finish some Christmas gifts. One was given today so I can share it, a quilt for a friend that has moved to Michigan. He is in town now to be with his family for the holidays so I wanted to get it to him. I did NOT want to have to mail it. The colors were his choice and the pattern was the free Plaidish tutorial from Kitchen Table Quilting. 


As I started quilting it, my sewing machine got slower and slower and then just locked up. So I took it to the shop. It is still there. I really wanted to finish this quilt, so I had two options. My daughter has a sewing machine so my first option was to see if it would do well enough to quilt the rest. It is a lighter machine so when I wrestled the quilt through it, it slid back. I also fight my task chair, which is on wheels. On a wood floor. Not the best choice in hindsight when quilting--I push forward and the chair tends to roll back. I'm learning. The stitches on my daughter's machine were great, even and regular, so I kept working on the quilt, and got it done.


As I was hanging it for the pictures, I discovered why I was having to wrestle so much--it is a bigger quilt than I expected.



I backed it in flannel, a yellow and white stripe, to make sure it is a warm quilt. Again, he lives in Michigan.

I've finished one more this month earlier but will post pictures a little later to make sure it has been gifted.


Comments