An artist date at the Crystal Bridge

For several years I have been following some specific practices to help me stay creative. They were inspired by the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, which focuses on helping each of us re-connect with creativity in whatever ways that may be. We all express our creativity in different ways, but it is there, and quite a lot of the time we stifle it as we get older. One of those practices is called the "artist date." It is the more adventurous practice she suggests and is one I often skip because well, I guess I am old and struggle to find things to do to inspire myself and feed my creativity. A couple of weeks ago I decided to take myself to the Crystal Bridge Conservatory in Oklahoma City. Then I woke up late that morning, with my adrenaline pumping and almost talked myself out of it. But I knew if I went that morning there was a pretty good chance of no crowd at all, so I made myself get off the couch and go.


As soon as I walked in the door I smelled green and life. I exhaled in that warm, humid air and realized I had been a LONG winter. Of course, that was two weeks ago and now we are headed for even more cold, snow, and who knows what. I walked around the path through the tropical zone, passing the waterfalls and abundant plants, so thankful that I had made myself go.



The path circles around the top of the bridge over to the desert side with even more warmth--and birds!


Because I was by myself (and no distractions or people to keep track of), I had time to sit for a while and sketch. Most of the walk I took pictures to draw later but these two pages were drawn on site. The top was of my view from the bench and the bottom scene was one from a picture on my phone. 


As I finished up, I noticed more people were starting to come in, but decided to wander around a little more. And sit my the waterfall for a bit.



As I left the conservatory I walked through the small traveling art exhibit called Still Here in the foyer. The art pieces varied--some paintings (both figurative and abstract) and some embroidered pieces. You can read more about it here. This is one of the featured works by Ebony Iman Dallas called The Way You Frame It


A much needed nature break and relaxing morning, especially after the rush earlier that day. I'm thinking I may need to visit more often this winter!


Comments

  1. I keep wanting to be disciplined about doing artist's dates but I struggle. I do morning pages every day, but find it difficult to make time to take myself out. Of course, it's not easy now, but you have inspired me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment