February quilt- Rhythm

Last weekend I finished a quilt. And then it got cold (and maybe rained?) so I didn't take any pictures. And then it got colder. Today is even colder (20 degrees) and snowing a bit, but with the upcoming forecast (even colder and more snow), I decided it was time to get it done.

It is a bit overcast gray everywhere but luckily people built brick walls next to our house to provide a bit of contrast.


This quilt started with the little squares, a mini charm pack I picked up at the front counter of Sewciety Quilt Co. sometime last summer (or maybe fall, who knows). I messed around with the little squares enough to decide what I did not want to do with them, and to know that I needed another set. So when I went back a few weeks ago for an after Christmas sale, I grabbed another one. I almost sewed several of those pesky little squares into the last quilt as I was quilting it. 

I started with verticals, much like the birches. I added the white for contrast with the color, and then the black stripes for more contrast. As I started sewing and it got wider and wider, it suddenly became a horizonal stripe. 

In mid January, a friend at church asked me if I would like some African fabrics she and her daughter had brought make many years ago, but had never used. I of course said yes. I don't usually turn down free fabric, although I may pick through it quite a bit. These were wonderful and three of them ended up being the best option I had for the back of the quilt.



And one more back inside where it is warmer:




Comments

  1. What a great use of a mini charm pack!I love your quilt, and the backing fabrics are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment