August quilt

During August I started sewing scraps into 9 patch blocks. I have worked my way through 4 colors so far. It's a bit of a tedious process, sorting through a bin of scraps to find pieces to cut into 2 1/2 inch squares, so after those colors, I picked up a charm pack of fabric I bought on vacation and started thinking about how to use it.

And this is what I made:




The fabric I used for the rectangles was a set from the Warp and Weft Honey line by Alexa Marcelle Abegg. As usual, I bought one charm pack, which was 42 five inch squares from the line and coordinating solids. I decided to use the Coins pattern I saw on quiltylove.com and regretted not getting two of the charm packs. After pricing them online (with shipping charges), I decided to just add more solids into the mix.


What I liked about the pattern was the ease of the whole project and layout. It also reminded me of a sketch I made several years ago of the upholstery on a chair in my hotel room, with a similar rectangle pattern. I remember thinking of the versatility of that--incorporating pieced scraps, or solids, or any of number of fabrics. With the squares cut in half, the pieces also remind me of little blankets, or maybe beach towels!

The solid I used is Kona Bone. I tried finding another solid that coordinated with the variety of colors and just really liked this ivory colored off white the best. I used it for the binding as well, which I seem to be doing more lately.


The backing was a rough weave oatmeal colored fabric that I had from who knows where. It coordinated well with the color scheme, as well as the more homespun feel of this line of fabrics. It ended up as a large throw sized quilt. Two charm backs would have made it to twin probably? But then my backing choice wouldn't have worked as well. 


And the card from the store in Denver where I found the fabric. It was a fun small business type of craft store with fabric, yarn, and other assorted crafts.

That's all for August. I've started a baby quilt, which may take shape pretty quickly with the upcoming 4 day weekend. And then I'll be ready to work through some more scraps for the 9 patches of the warmer colors.







Comments