Our 2022 summer vacation

At the beginning of the year, at least I think it was, I asked the kids to make a list of the top ten places they would like to go in the United States. I made one too, and mentioned to my husband but I never saw his. Once they were done I took their lists and -- well had them tell me a bit more specifics. Naming states is a little too broad! Once I got past that, I tried to think through which places are better for summer vacations versus places that would be better during spring break or fall break because they would be too hot otherwise. Colorado was on all the lists, and is for the most part driveable in a day, so I latched onto that because I always love Colorado.

After looking at options, we headed to Denver to be in a city atmosphere and still close enough to mountains for a day trip or two.

Day 1: Denver Art Museum


 












All those pictures just uploaded in backwards order, but I'm not going to change it. We ate lunch at a nearby burger place called Burger Fi, finished up the museum (it is HUGE) and then headed home to rest. Then headed over to Namaste restaurant nearby. 

Day two: Red Rocks Amphitheatre area, Golden, and Ikea in Centennial












Gold Mine Cupcakes

At the School of Mines


Dinner was takeout pizza from Giuseppe's.

Day 3: Idaho Springs








We ate lunch at a steakhouse in Idaho Springs, and then the gelato on the way back to our rent house. I'm not really sure what we had for dinner--maybe sandwiches and leftover pizza?

Day 4: Denver Botanical Gardens, Cherry Creek farmer's market, and Broadway street (Fancy Tiger Crafts, Spicy Basil for lunch, Goodwill)

We split up at the Botanical Garden after the first area and met back at the air conditioned gift shop after a couple of hours.

















Then back to rest for the afternoon again. I think we got Subway that night. 

Thursday was back on the road home, and looked a lot like this for most of the day, and hotter the closer we got to home:

Grateful for the chance to get away to some different scenery for a few days, and for our friend who took care of our house and pets while we were gone!


Comments