Happy Garden - August quilt #2

I finished my second quilt for the month -- just barely in time. It was time for a scrap quilt and this quilt is all that, plus a bit of a skill challenge. I had wanted to do something with the scraps that was basic patchwork, but was not really into more squares. I had heard of a new book called One Patch Quilts, so I bought it and thumbed through to find the shape I wanted to tackle. I settled on the double prism, and then had to think through how to make a quilt with that shape.


Unlike my usual quilts, this one began with a template, a marker, and a pair of scissors. I dug through the green bin, then added a few oranges, yellows, and bright pinks.


Yes, I know they would be more consistent and precise if I would IRON them first.

I ended up with a box full and started placing them on my flannel board. And then a friend asked if it could be for her--and I went back to cut more so it could be a bit bigger. I still was not sure how big it was going to be because of the offset layout.



I think I ended going back a few more times to add more rows, until I decided enough was enough.

The result:





The large floral on the back is a great complement to the colorful patchwork explosion on the front. As you can sort of see from the last picture, I quilted along the vertical zigzags.

Loved the challenge of working with this shape--and really glad to be done with it. Connecting the rows was definitely a learning process and slow work.

This quilt is now ready to go to my friend, just in time for the Labor Day weekend sale at my Etsy shop and her birthday. All of my quilts are 25% off through September 3, so if you are looking for a quilty gift for someone, or yourself, head over to it here. Now on to the next challenge!

Comments