Corner quilt--one more for May

A month or so ago one of my friends asked me to make some quilts for her soon to be built family cabin, mostly all twin size. I did have to think about that a little bit, mainly because twin size quilts (and larger ones for that matter) are a bit trickier in my smallish sewing space. And yet it sounded like a great project so I said yes. The first quilt, using Denyse Schmidt's In This Corner pattern, is now finished and ready to be delivered. Once it is not graduation week perhaps--we both have seniors this year.



This floral fabric called Hawthorne by Rifle Paper Co in the center was my design inspiration for the color choices. I bought it as a fat quarter at Sewciety Quilt Company here in my town. When I buy those I am either 1) buying some basics to fill in some color gaps or 2) getting just a little bit of a fabric I love. This was definitely a love!  I filled in the other colors to coordinate, asked my friend for a yes or no, and then edited it a bit to round out what she wanted. 


Once I finished up the top, I texted about the backing. She requested a pale gray linen. I searched a bit online --with some trepidation about the color tone on a computer screen--and selected Essex Linen in Silver, which is a linen cotton blend and seemed like a good fit for a quilt. And then I quilted a ZILLION lines.


Our neighbors put up this lovely new 8' tall fence on one side of yard, perfect for hanging quilts. Still working on the best way to hang them for photos and settled on clear plastic pants hangars for this one. It was all a bit terrifying walking outside with this shiny new quilt, passing a rabbit fur laden blanket that had been dumped on the back porch, trying not to drop the quilt on the mud below the fence (we've had a lot of rain), and oh, that chair that I dragged over with one hand to climb on to try to hang the quilt? Bird droppings on the back. Which I discovered were fresh AFTER I climbed up and got some on the quilt backing, right on the top edge. Yay. Oxy gel and two or three washings later, most of the stain was out but not all. My friend is so gracious and kind and actually appreciated that it is stained, so that it won't feel too precious to use. 


I do see why people create wooden barn quilts -- this was a colorful addition to the yard!




Comments

  1. A wonderful quilt! And great photo shoot too! I actually made my version of this a few years ago, for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilt and photos. Great idea to use the plastic hangers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki! I hope to figure out something different at some point but the hangars worked well, and don't seem to distract too much in the picture.

      Delete

Post a Comment