January quilt 1 - Nice like Nettie

 My first quilt finish of 2023 is a scrap quilt built from so many past quilts. 



My inspiration for this quilt was the Cobblestone quilt by Nettie on A Quilt Is Nice blog, which she posted back in 2017. I love her quilts--so much inspiration for scrappy quilts. She doesn't seem to post anymore on social media sadly. 




As I thought about what fabric to use for the backing (and I really wanted to use what I had on hand), I wanted something that gave an overall pattern to balance the scrappiness of the quilt top. I decided to go with this black and white gingham--and as an added bonus, I had the perfect amount for the quilt. 


I am piecing together the rows for the next quilt, a Harry Potter themed quilt using fabric I received over the years, plus coordinating solids. I'm looking forward to working through several upcoming quilt ideas, and seeing how many I can make with the fabric I have on hand (a little 2023 challenge for myself). Although truthfully, not much of a challenge if you look at how MUCH fabric I have on hand, on two shelves, the pile on the floor of double knit & leftover denim & leftover corduroy, AND a bin full of men's shirts. I'm guessing I won't run out too soon.


Comments