my March quilt

This has been a crazy month, with more travel than usual and two bedroom projects for my kids. When I could walk into my sewing room (staging area for rooms being painted) I tried to work on a quilt for the 5th grader I am mentoring through Kid's Hope USA. We have been working together since she was in 2nd grade and this will likely be our last semester. I brought in some of my magazines and she picked what she wanted it to look like, choosing the Little Lady pattern by Mary Fons out of a March/April 2014 Quilty magazine. Then I pulled fabrics, reviewed with her, revised and started. I would add some links but can't really find them any more. The blocks in the pattern are 3" but I wanted a larger quilt overall, so I doubled them to finish at 6".

An in-process shot as I was working out the fabric layouts:


And the finished quilt on an overcast day (I will try for another one):


The background fabric is a white and black pin dot, which just does not show up in the overall photos.



I decided to use a flannel backing because that seems to make quilts more comforting, add a bit of weight--and the fabric I found that had a pattern and the colors I wanted was a flannel.



Comments