a May quilt

This quilt began as I thumbed through a Quilty magazine I had out for this quilt. I saw a simple quilt called Garden Party, and I realized if I scaled the pattern down, it would be perfect for a stack of leftovers 5" squares and a pack of American Made Brand solids I was given at Quiltcon. I ended up adding two or three more colors of solids to make the 16 blocks for the quilt. One night this week I was up late waiting for my son to get home from an away soccer game and finished all the blocks.


Another day I pieced the rows and then finished the top, dug through my fabric for a backing and found some black solid for the binding.
Friday I quilted it (it took maybe 30 minutes--I love small quilts), and then put the binding on Saturday. Or maybe Friday night. I really don't remember at this point.


My fence is super green right now with all of the rain we have had.

I do remember that I showed the quilt to my daughter yesterday and she commented on the interesting pattern created by the blocks--in the negative space. I was looking at it with her and then realized that one was twisted wrong. And it was right in the first picture when I had laid it out. I had to give that a lot of thought. It could have been fixed but it was not worth it at this point, and really may have made it worse with all of the pulled stitches etc. I still haven't washed it because I have just had to think, and after washing there is really no going back.



So anyway. I had this colorful floral pattern with the colors I wanted. And the black binding frames it all.


I've of course dug out another project bin to just start cutting (it is one I have had stashed away for years) but May is a bit all over the place so we'll see.

Comments