what I read in February

I still seemed to have lots of time to read in February and was able to complete the books I had planned to read that month, plus a few additions. Fiction is one area I left open ended for myself--and I found a lot of fiction to read! I am mostly posting this for the same reason I post pictures of my quilts, to keep track of what I have done. But maybe some of you may find a book you'd like to read next.

Spiritual Formation: All the Colors We Will See by Patrice Gopo. This was a book I had planned to read last fall, but for some reason, once September got here I no longer remembered books. Or at least not that list of books. It is a memoir of the author's experiences living in Alaska, overseas, at college, and in South Carolina--all the while never really fitting any where. Her cultural mix separated her and shaped her, forcing her to think (and write) about the formation of identity.

Social Justice: Tightrope by Nicholas Kristoff and Sheryl WuDunn. I found this book on a list--maybe emailed to me or maybe on Instagram--of a book of the month club. I didn't want to join their club but did look at their selections , and saw an author I recognized. I could connect with this book because I grew up in a rural community, and in a state that is for the most part is a rural state. Even though I work and live in a suburb, much of what I see on a day to day basis connecting with people in poverty within my community is a glimpse of rural and generational poverty. As in his previous books, I appreciated his attempts to both point out the problems as well as work to identify some solutions that he observed.

Fiction:
Still Life with Breadcrumbs by Anna Quindlan. I liked this novel about an artist rebuilding her life.

My daughter had Smile by Raina Telgemeier on the table one day and I decided to read it at lunch. It was a graphic novel, so it was a quick read and I was impressed. So I grabbed Sisters, Drama, and then Ghosts, and then at a conveniently timed school book fair, found the most recent one, Guts. I think Sisters was my favorite.


Extras:

Dangerous Prayers by Craig Groechel. Chosen because I need to pray more.

Our Girl by John Rich Dorean. Was given this at the funeral of the author's daughter and loved learning more about her and their family. 

Comments