What I read in April

As I promised myself, I narrowed my reading down. Now I will see if I can remember what I read!

Spiritual Formation: Defiant: What the women of Exodus teach us about freedom by Kelley Nikondeha. Takes a different look at Exodus, as you could probably guess from the title. The author looks at the women behind Exodus story, through the decisions made by the women.

Poverty/social justice: Dream with Me by John Perkins. Written much like the last book Perkins intends to write (he wrote several), he stresses the continued need for reconciliation in the church.

Leadership: The Advantage by Patrick Lencioni. This book summarizes several of Lencioni's other books, as well as giving an overview of an evaluation process that each business should follow to help them make decisions and stay on track with their business.

Fiction: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling. Both are these are re-reads--fiction we have on hand in book form while our library is still closed. Just as within the movies (although for different reasons), I always note the change between books 3 and 4. A lot more involved and pulling in way more characters, a trend that continues with the rest of the series.

With my daughter: Again, I looked through our shelves and found one that I had not read to her yet. It ended up leading to three different books, all by the same author. We started with Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilly Giff, which was about a family in Ireland and the desperation they faced as the potato crops were destroyed. Giff wrote a sequel to that book, which I had checked out from the library when I was reading these books the first time with my son. That was not an option this time, so I ordered the book. Maggie's Door continues the journey from Ireland to America, again giving a glimpse into what drives people to not only leave the only home they have ever known and the huge obstacles they face along the way. And while I was ordering I also ordered Lily's Crossing, which was set during WW2, the time period my daughter was studying at least part of April.

I think that was it, but still a lot of books!

Comments