What I read in August

This month I read less, or at least it seems like I did. I started out on vacation and read the first book on my list quickly, and then the others just took longer.  I also rediscovered our public library. It is still not open to the public but I can easily place books on hold and pick up later. That has impacted my September reading for sure--so maybe in August I just needed new inspiration. Or had other things to do!

Spiritual Formation: Does Jesus Really Love Me? by Jeff Chu. Part biography, investigative journalism and just rethinking how our beliefs impact the beliefs those who may be on the other side. In this instance,the author explores a variety of groups against and in support of the humans who are homosexual. As a minister at a church, and present in our discussions not so many years ago about 'welcoming and affirming or not", I know this is still a ongoing issue and will be for awhile. This book does not address that question as much as puts a human face on the groups, the individuals, and the families to help, well, build our empathy.

Poverty/social justice: The Power of Proximity by Michele Warren. This is one of those books that I bought and then never managed to read. Yet as I read it I realized it answers one of the biggest questions I have when reading any and all of the books. What do I do with this information and put any of it in to practice? Her answer is through proximity, by putting ourselves in the groups and neighborhoods--through relationships. 

Leadership: Living Into Community by Christine Pohl. This one was also timely for me, discussing four practices that any group and its members should practice to strengthen community: telling the truth, keeping promises, expressing gratitude, and welcoming others. I have really taken this one to heart, thinking through struggles I constantly see and face at work, church as a whole, and even my family and how so many of them revolve around a break in one or more of these practices. 

With Grace: The Penderwicks by Jean Birdsall. I only have one written down, so we must have taken our time, or I have completely forgotten a book. Looking forward to more in this series.

Other: The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart. Needed a brain break and we have the children's fiction all over our house to provide that.


Comments