A couple more

I think I finished up these two quilts last week. I think. There was a birthday in our house, and I was trying to watch two virtual conferences at the end of the week, among all the normal day to day life, so I really cannot remember. So they will be a couple of October finishes since I made the time last night to photograph them.

First up is a heart quilt. I used a tutorial from Kitchen Table Quilting, and had planned to build two of the hearts. I think I probably started it in February, since that is when I downloaded the pattern and well, Valentine's Day. I started the first heart, laying out the various shades of pink. And then had to group them together to sew each row of squares. I'm pretty sure that is when I decided that this quilt was going to have one heart and it was not going to be done for Valentine's Day. I found the bin of squares at my last sewing room cleaning, and decided to finish it up. To be clear, my issues with this pattern had nothing to do with the pattern itself. I just did not enjoy sewing all the little squares together in rows and could not imagine myself doing that for multiple hearts. 


It did use quite a bit of scrap pinks, and looking at it now, probably would have made even more of a dent in those if I had made them larger squares. With the one heart, it ended up a smallish baby quilt. I backed it with flannel, edged it in pink, and finally finished this one.



My next finish was a double knit quilt top I found one day at Goodwill here in Oklahoma, probably over a year ago. It was $10.01 (why the one cent I do not know), and I got lots of questions as I carried it around the store waiting on my kids. It is a Trip Around the World pattern with 2 1/2" squares machine pieced together by someone way more patient than me, and since it is double knit, quite heavy. 



It took me awhile to decide how to quilt this one, which is mainly why it sat folded up in my sewing room for a year. At one point I bought flannel for the back, probably at a Christmas sale, but by the time I was ready to put it together had changed  my mind on that particular flannel. Luckily that stuff is always on sale, so I bought a white with pink polka dot, gathered up a skein of multicolor yarn I've had forever and started tying.


I haven't washed it yet, still deciding if I need to add more yarn ties. I did not use a batting in this--another long though process. I decided it would be so much more heavy if I added that, despite my misgivings about not using it and being able to feel those seams through the backing. Another reason I'm still considering adding more ties before I wash it, just to give it a bit more stability.

Regardless, so happy to finish off someone else's art work and have this super warm and the original type of weighted blanket to use this winter.

Comments