Mother Goose and her Chick - November quilts

I took a break from the memory quilts and another commissioned quilt to put together something a little different. It was time! 


I had a collection of fabric, most of which came from my trip to Nashville in 2019. A lot of Anna Maria Horner in the bunch, making me think I may have found it at Craft South, but likely I probably picked up at Quiltcon too. It seems like ages ago. And for this quilt, I looked through my back issues of magazines to find a pattern, rather than trying something of my own. I settled on a Jeni Baker pattern in a Love Quilting and Patchwork magazine. She also sells it on her website here, calling it Geese in Flight.


my helper taking an arm break




The backing is a new fabric I bought this week at my local quilt shop (I have one now!) called Sewciety Quilt Shop. The fabric is Mini Charm from Kathy Doughty's New Vintage collection, which seemed just right for this. 

As I made the quilt, I ended up with a LOT of offcuts from the flying geese. I chose to keep the ones from the large flying geese and let go of the others. These made a set of half square triangles. Then after I laid out the rest of the pieces, I had a few leftovers. All of these went a smaller quilt.




I used the same brown fabric for the binding, but chose a flannel for the backing this time. Seemed like a better choice for a child sized quilt. 

Now on to the last of the memory quilts!

Comments

  1. Beautiful finish and a perfect sunny days to take lovely pictures. With flannel on the back it is a perfect mix of pretty and cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both quilts are SEW darling!! Not a color combination that I would have come up with. That being said... I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For some reason my fall quilts always seem to gravitate toward these colors.

      Delete
  3. Great use of a group of fun fabrics. I like that you also used the cut off pieces in another quilt. And, yes, somedays we just need to let little pieces go.... it's hard but I'm trying to let little ones go too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment