What I read in November and December

As the year winds down, so does this year long book tracking project. I definitely will keep reading next year of course, and probably even in these areas, but I'm done with the book reports for sure!

Spiritual Formation:

November: Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis. This was a birthday gift that took far too long for me to read. Probably because I kept reading other books and buried this one under them. Once I determined the chapters were not suited to bedtime reading, and that it was ok to read the chapters out of order (they are a variety of lectures), I moved through the book. I prefer some of his other writings that have a consistent theme from start to finish (like Screwtape Letters), but as always his writings provide insight into theological issues and discussions during the time they were written.

December: The Very Good Gospel by Lisa Sharon Harper. I found this book very meaningful and continue to think about it. She discusses how we sometimes strip the gospel down to something that really seems meaningless and thin, rather than the richness and depth of shalom with God, others, creation, and other aspects of our lives. 

Poverty/Social Justice

November: Snake Oil: The art of healing and truth telling by Becca Stevens. This one tells part of the story of Becca Stevens, her own healing journey and the ministries she began in as she met women in her community in Tennessee. She is inspiring champion for the women she works with all around the world.

December: Mental Health and the Church by Dr. Stephen Grcevich. As you can tell from the title, this one provides insight into how churches can do a better job of meeting the needs of  families and individuals struggling with common mental illnesses, such as ADHD, anxiety, depression, and autism to name a few. The beginning of the book helps us to understand not only the obstacles churches inadvertently throw out there to those with mental illness, but also the stigmas we tend to throw into the mix. The second half of the book provides multiple suggestions for churches as they develop teams, change interior spaces, and rethink the procedures and routines that make it difficult for people to feel welcome.

Leadership:

Essentialism by Greg McKeown. I had to wait a month for this one with the library reserve, so it became my December book. I will likely buy  it at some point, because the practices discussed seem to be ones that would benefit me. Just working through to find those things that are essential to me is enough, but it also talked about the importance of sleep and play and other habits to balance out the "work" of our life. 


With Grace:

All of these were bedtime reading the past two months. I will refrain from reviews since you can follow the links and read way more details there.

Penderwicks in Spring and Penderwicks at Last by Jeanne Birdsall

Holy Troublemakers & Unconventional Saints by Daneen Akers

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

Hidden Figures Young Reader's Edition by Margot Lee Shetterly

Evil Spy School by Stuart Gibbs


Other:

And these were books I chose to read because I was bored, or had a wide space in time maybe waiting for something, and wanted something restful to do. Otherwise my brain starts spinning and sometimes I really don't need to do hundred different projects in a day.

Emma by Jane Austen

O Pioneers by Willa Cather

Pigs In Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver

The Yellow House by Sarah Broom

Becoming by Michelle Obama

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Richardson

The Beautiful Struggle by Ta-Nehisi Coates


And that's the last of the books for the year! I know I love to look at the lists of books others are reading for inspiration for my next books. Hopefully my lists have helped you find some books to read (or maybe avoid) this year.


Comments