my first quilt of the new year - the peaks

 My first finish, with photos taken in a couple of different places (with different lighting):



And a close up.
I used a triangle template and had to figure out to place the pieces as I sewed them together. I did a better job as I moved down the quilt--more peaks on the tops of the triangles. Quite a few of these above were chopped off. I finished it off with the white binding and love how it looks, especially on the front side!

I originally planned to use a flannel I had for the back, but it didn't seem to be quite right color-wise and just didn't seem to fit the style. I also had a lot of cut triangles left, so I looked through the rest of my fabric and ended up piecing the back. I love how it ended up, and makes it seem like two quilts in one. 



I think it ended up around 60" x 72". I want to try to make more larger quilts this year, even if that means I only make one per month. Still thinking through some options, maybe some challenges for myself (I do have a box of pieces of a wedding ring quilt that someone gave to me) to stretch my skills a bit.


I am naming it "the peaks" because it looks like little mountains of course, and also in honor of some longtime friends of mine. The husband was my youth pastor the whole time I was in youth (middle school thru high school), with his wife at his side supporting and teaching us girls-- and making sure we went to sleep at church camp. We had a LOT of talkers in our group!!  He served in that role for many years past when I left, and then transitioned to pastor--first in other towns but eventually back at my home church. He is currently in the hospital fighting for his life and has been so many weeks, I think since Thanksgiving, when he had to be hospitalized with pneumonia from COVID. He has made huge progress and also faced scary, dangerous downturns as the pneumonia rebounds. As I sat here making this post, looking at this quilt to think of a name, that's what popped into my head, and so that is what it shall be.



Comments