June quilt 1: denim quilt

One of the quilt books I have--Wise Craft Quilts by Blair Stocker--includes several projects using recycled clothing. My favorite is the quilt on the cover, a quilt made from jeans.


At the end of winter, I realized I had three pairs of jeans that were at the end of their life, with out substantial repair jobs. That was not enough, so I asked the volunteers at our church's clothes closet to set aside any donated jeans that need to be thrown away or re-donated elsewhere because they have holes where they shouldn't or just worn out. I did end up taking a pair or two back to them because they were SUPPOSED to have those holes that teenagers apparently love. After a month of so, I had enough to start cutting them apart into squares. I think as I finished all of that, I ended up digging through my husband's jeans and found one more he said I could add to get to the total number needed.

After 3 denim sewing machine needles, I had this top layout finished:


The next process was to hand tie the layers together, which I did watching a couple of movies (and after buying a different needle with an eye big enough for yarn).




I love the pattern she used and how it highlights the variety of colors in jeans, and love the finished product.

Comments