The October quilts

It has been a bit of a stressful month, as we worked with our son to take care of some major health issues. In the middle of all that, I did a bit of sewing. Sometimes it is a good distraction, and sometimes it is just good to have something constructive to do to create a bit of beauty and maybe distract myself from worry (which isn't helping anything). 

The first quilt I finished in the middle of the month. I had gathered a bit of clothing castoffs from our clothes closet at one point, collecting a lot of corduroy pants. People just don't seem to chose those, event though they are warm. I think it is because they are just noisy pants!


I bought a bit of corduroy-- the green and blue and a gray that kind of looks brown--to provide a bit more variety. The purple was an actual pair of women's pants. 


To add a bit of contrast, I used this ivory/oatmeal colored fabric. I don't think it is linen, but it is a bit of rougher texture than typical quilting cotton. It seemed a good partner to the corduroy. 

I added a wide flannel backing (no piecing!) and now have a heavy throw quilt, currently on my side of the bed to deal with these colder nights.


My second finish for the month is another baby quilt, this time for a boy.



The pattern for this was a modified version of Lynne Goldsworthy's Birds Migrating quilt pattern. I wanted it smaller, so cut the fabric I had and made it work. I think I ended up with a bit of a different pattern with the extra white squares. 

When I finished the top, I looked through my backing stash, and had nothing in these colors (I was not surprised). I went to a local shop and found this elephant print -- in the clearance bin! That is also where I found the navy and white polka dot for the binding, so I consider that a very successful fabric buying trip.


Glad to have the three baby quilts ready--I think the first baby shower is Sunday!

Comments