A Road Trip and a Quilt

For most of the month, my daughter and I have been talking about making a road trip. We didn't have our usual fall break mini vacation, and my daughter didn't have a fall youth retreat either. We were ready to get out of town, even if it was just for a few hours. A couple of weeks ago we decided to go for it. It was cold that week, but not to bad that Saturday afternoon. The OU game was away, and I could listen on the radio if I wanted to (turned out on that game I did not want to). We headed to Sulphur.
Our first stop was the Bedre Chocolate Shop and Factory. They were all ready for the Christmas giving season.




We were ready to hike after that and headed on into Sulphur to the Chickasaw National Recreation Area. I remembered that the last time we visited (also in the fall), we had seen several deer, so I watched for those as we drove through the park. We started at the Nature Center and then wandered around on the trails nearby.







We ended up seeing 5 or 6 deer and an armadillo. And of course squirrels. 

It was starting to cool off in the shade of the trees so we decided to head into town and look around. We visited an antiques shop, tea and spice shop, and art gallery/supply shop, and ended with some ice cream at Bedre Cafe. We took it outside to eat on the patio for some reason, I guess the sunshine. After about 5 minutes sitting out there, I realized I was sitting outside with a coat on in 40 degree temps eating Cinnamon Brown Sugar ice cream. We started walking around again because it was cold. 



It was a fun trip and only about an hour away.

So what else have I been doing this month (besides work and driving my kids around)? I've been working through all of my overflowing scrap bins. For each color, I have been cutting 1-1/2" squares, 2-1/2" squares and then some 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" rectangles, for three different quilts. I then reached mass capacity and worked to FINISH one of those quilts. 



This is a baby quilt with the 1-1/2" squares. Those were assembled into 9 patch plus blocks, offset with 3-1/2" low volume fabric squares.



The lighting outside today was overcast and a little rough for pictures. The backing is a light teal flowered print with a textured dot. I have no idea where I got that, nor the tiny stripe fabric that I used for the binding. It all seemed to work together great--and I didn't have to make a trip to the store to finish it up! 


Comments