Quilts since March

 I really thought I had already made a post about quilts in the spring and maybe I at least uploaded photos for that -- but no, no post ever made. Late March through, well, last week has been a lot. All mostly good with a trip to Bentonville with Grace, graduations for both of my children, fun trips to Portland, Oregon and Kentucky, and summer activities at church that I was a part of on some level. I did make quilts through it all but it definitely slowed all of that and the planned embroidery projects (and I have learned that I really don't like or know how to thread needles well). The theme for most if not all of these was "Hey you have had this forever and it is time to make something with it!"

March Quilt: This was my son's t-shirt/jersey quilt, full of his soccer jerseys, a few cross country shirts and even a few from college. The cardboard box is no longer a permanent tripping hazard in my sewing room. 

 








This one shows a peek of the backing, a colorful cacti print I bought specifically for him. He started growing and caring for those in high school I believe. So glad to finally have a way to use it. I also had the tan with black linework version of that print and made a couple of pillowcases for him. 

April Quilts-- I made 2:



So this one started with a set of double knit foundation pieced blocks I found several years ago at a thrift store, labeled "pot holders"--they were not. There were 9 of them. For a while I thought I could make s few more and even collected some double knit. I decided I really did not want to do that. I have made enough half square triangle blocks to eventually realize that if I used those thrifted blocks and paired them with a solid, I could double the number of blocks. I used black for one more set to make it a decently sized lap or baby quilt for the floor (certainly not a soft cuddly thing!). 

The second one for April combined a set of jelly colored jelly roll strips (2 1/2" wide) that I received as a gift with a ditzy floral dotted swiss. I have no idea where I collected that. 




The beautiful backing is an Anna Maria print called Bright Eyes. I believe I had to buy a little bit more to have enough, but thankfully could still find some on Etsy. Which is also where that quilt is now listed.

May was jam packed so while I did sew some, I did not complete any quilts.

June quilts: 2 more, both gifts 

The inspiration for this one was noticing I still had most of the set of this brightly colored fabric collection and that I could pull together enough coordinating fabrics to make a quilt. After seeing photos of a birthday party for a friend's daughter who would be moving on to middle school, I knew who I was making the quilt for. The pattern for this is Kitchen Table Quilting's Virginia.

                  







The backing started with the floral print, since the colors and design were perfect. I think I may have needed to buy a little more, but couldn't get all I needed. I pieced in some other fabrics and love how it looks. 

The second quilt of June was a graduation/off to college quilt. She really likes a quilt of mine, one of my keepers, that is made with vintage sheets and asked me if I could make one like that for her. I had some on hand still, was miraculously able to find a few locally, and then ordered some vintage sheet precuts from Vintage Fabric Studio and a little of the Dreamin' Vintage (Jeni Baker) fabric. Another fabric I had used in the first one (Dream On by Urban Chiks) was way too pricy now. 




The sun is impressively bright here but hard to deal with the photos and shadows.

She also wanted some as the upholstered seat for her vintage vanity renovation project.


The two vintage sheet quilts (mine on the left)

The backing was also vintage sheets. 

Next post will be the quilts I have finished this month. OR maybe a bit about some of my summer travel and inspiration. 

Comments