The Ice Cream

Both of these recipes are from my mom. The cake one is fairly standard. I like this ice cream recipe because I can cook the egg part in the microwave and it seems much faster. Every time I make homemade ice cream, I always think "Well, that was easy. Why don't I do this more?"

JUDY’S ICE CREAM

4 eggs, separated
4 c. milk
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 T. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. whipping cream

Place beaten egg yolks, milk, sugar and salt in microwave-proof container and mix. Heat on HIGH until mixture reaches 180°F with candy thermometer (about 8 to 9 minutes). Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add hot mixture to egg whites, pouring through a strainer to get out any cooked egg yolk. Add vanilla. Chill until cold. (Can put in freezer to chill faster.) Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add cold mixture to whipping cream.

Variations: Add 2 cups chopped Butterfinger; 2 cups chopped peppermint candy; 2 cups mashed fruit.

Freeze in ice cream freezer.

Comments