Summer Food


The past couple of weeks I have been cooking a lot of yummy food, mainly because of the fourth of July, but also the abundance of fresh fruit and veggies right now. My grandmother bought me some fresh corn from Lexington and then I went back a week later and bought some more. Isaac and I learned how to husk the corn and then prepare it for the freezer. These would have been great things to snap a picture of, yes, but unfortunately I cannot go back in time. All I can show it some of the now frozen corn:













The Fourth of July celebration? Well, we had burgers, baked beans, some of the corn, and chips. I made some fresh pico de gallo from the Pioneer Woman's recipe and for dessert, some chocolate sheet cake and homemade vanilla ice cream. I again took no pictures, except this picture of mostly eaten homemade ice cream.
I'll post the recipes for these later today.







Now to this week. Since I had LOTS of corn, some new potatoes, and a bag of shrimp in the freezer, I realized I could make the Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Boil I saw in the August 2009 issue of Everyday Food. It was easy. I modified it a little to fit what we had in the house and so that my 6 year old could eat it:

Spicy Shrimp and Sausage Boil

1 medium onion, quartered
2 garlic cloves, smashed
2 T seafood seasoning, plus more for serving (I used Seafood Magic)
1 pound red new potatoes
2 ears corn, husks and silks removed, quartered
1 lb smoked andouille sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 pound large shrimp
2 T melted butter

In a large pot, combine onion, garlic, 1 to 2 T seafood seasoning (I feel like I added 2 even though I now realize it was supposed to be 1), and 10 cups water; bring to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce to a rapid simmer. Cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add corn and sausage to pot. Cook until potatoes and corn are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in shrimp and let stand until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 1 1/2 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid; drain shrimp mixture and return to pot. Add butter, 1 T seafood seasoning, and reserved cooking liquid and toss to combine. SERVES 3 to 4.





Isaac helped with this. He helps with lots now that I have decided no TV. But of course, once it was done I took no pictures. I was hungry.

This brings us to today. I have a Chicken Pot Pie in the fridge ready for dinner. If I remember, I will take pictures and post the recipe. I have plans for chipotle chicken and rice, another recipe from Everyday Food August 2009. I also have a counter full of fresh blueberries, peaches, squash, and blackberries from the farmers market. Maybe, just maybe, I will make some great things and take pictures before we eat them all up.

Comments