Summer Veggies Week 1

This year we decided to participate in the Garden Club through Native Roots here in Norman. I thought it would be a good way to force me to try some new veggies, as well as find out what grows well here. Then maybe I could try to grow something besides my standard tomatoes, onions, and sweet potatoes. I did branch out this year and try garlic and leeks. We'll see how that goes. Anyway, so far we have received veggies for 3 weeks (we signed up for the summer session).





The first week we got this:

Some scallions, two squash, Swiss chard,
arugula, 2 heads of garlic, and a bag of oregano.
I cooked the squash like I usually do, with some onions in the microwave. The Swiss chard ended up getting sauteed with some of the garlic and eaten as a side dish. The oregano turned bad before I used it. I guess it was supposed to go in the refrigerator. My favorite veggie use that week was for the arugula and garlic. I adapted one of their suggested recipes and made:


Garlic and Arugula Pizza

3 T extra virgin olive oil
4-8 cloves of garlic, minced
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
pizza sauce (your choice)
3 cups arugula
1 pizza crust ( I used a homemade whole wheat crust)
mozzerella to top
1-2 slices bacon (optional)
a bit of smoked Gruyere (optional)

Wash greens, being sure to remove as much moisture as possible, and chop. Set aside.
Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat to medium high. Add the garlic and mushrooms and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add bacon now too if you are using it. Add greens; stir to mix, cover, and steam about 4 minutes or until greens are wilted. Brush crust with olive oil. Top with the pizza sauce, the sauteed vegetables, and cheeses. Bake as suggested for your crust.

The first time I made this it was without the bacon and Gruyere. And it tasted good. I decided to add them the second time I made it for the smoky flavor. It's good either way.

Coming soon---week 2.

Comments