Summer Veggies Week 2


Week 2 we received a few special items--meaning I really had to search and think to figure out how to use them.

As you can tell from the picture (maybe), we got red potatoes, green tomatoes, green beans, onions, cabbage, and a bag of amaranth. That is still in our refrigerator. I also went to the farmers market that week and bought some zucchini. And I think I bought two pattypan squash at Native Roots when I picked up the bag.

With half of the cabbage, I made chicken chow mein from a recipe my mom always used. One cabbage makes a lot of sliced cabbage though. I found a great recipe for minestrone in an Oct 2008 Everyday Foods magazine, the same issue I always use when I want to make lasagna. The only changes I made to the recipe were that I omitted the red pepper flakes and used a butternut squash I had instead of the potato, which I did not have.

With all of the squash and green tomatoes, I decided I wanted to try a veggie lasagna. I mixed two recipes and it ended up great, so I'll share it.

I found a Roasted Vegetable Lasagna in The Joy of Cooking, but didn't like the bottom half of the recipe. So I followed their directions on roasting the veggies, then mixed them into my standard lasagna recipe. I did this in two days, since it took a while to roast the vegetables. You could probably broil them and achieve the same thing in less time.

Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

Step One: Roasting the vegetables

Place in a large bowl:
2 pattypan squash, quartered and sliced 1/2 inch thick (orig recipe used eggplant)
3-4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Pour over the vegetables about 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper. Toss well to coat and place in roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes. Stir then roast about 20 minutes more. If you have room in your oven, at the same time roast the tomatoes in a separate pan. I had green ones. The recipe is for red. Use about 2-3 pounds and half them crosswise. Drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast them for about 45 minutes. After removing all of these from the oven, mix together in a bowl.

Step Two: The Lasagna

16 oz carton of part skim ricotta
1 garlic clove, minced (or more)
salt and pepper
2 1/2 cups jarred tomato sauce (I usually use Classico)
6 no-boil lasagna noodles
1 cup or so of mozzarella
roasted vegetables
chopped portabella mushrooms (I think it was about 1 cup worth)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl mix together ricotta, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Set aside. Add chopped mushrooms to vegetable mixture.
In an 8-inch square baking dish, spread 1/4 cup tomato sauce. Layer 2 noodles, 1/3 filling, 1/3 vegetables, and 1/3 remaining tomato sauce. Repeat twice. Top with mozzarella. Bake until browned, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Comments