I will remember the deeds of the Lord

As I posted the picture of the smores cookie yesterday, I debated. Maybe debated is not the right word. My heart ached. We have such abundance to make special treats, such over the top food. And around the globe, Somalian children and others in that area are starving. They have no food. If they get food, it is in an IV, or a special biscuit, or some sort of porridge. Things most children I know would not eat, even in that special time after school when they are "starving." That the insurgents left was a blessing, allowing more help to get to the area. But this famine, and other events scalding my heart when I dare to dig through the news on CNN or sit in a Sunday school class listening to needs in our community, have reminded me of just how fallen and evil and wrong this world is. Still.

This morning I opened my Bible to Psalms. I am working my way through, and arrived at Psalm 77 today.

        I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me. When I was in distress, I sought
        the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted.
         Psalm 77:1-2

       Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time? Has God forgotten
       to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion? Psalm 77:8-9

And then I read the psalmist answer, and knew that this was to be MY answer.
   
       Then I thought, "To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High." I will
        remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will
        meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds. Psalm 77:10-11

I turn to the Bible and see so many miracles and mighty deeds. Even in my own life, as I number the blessings, the gifts I observe each day, and see the rain finally pouring down out of the sky onto our own scorched earth, I can look back and see the mighty deeds God has shown me. The miracles I saw and listed in my notebook. And I know I missed so many more, getting too distracted to remember to see the miracles and gifts right in front of me.

My heart still hurts, and it should. But through that, I remember who God is and what he has done. I can hope and pray for the miracle, and be watching for it to happen.

Comments