Sleeping

Everyone else in my house is asleep. I'm not quite ready to go to bed--it's nice to have some breathing and thinking room.

This week I read Craig Groeschel's book Weird. I really liked it, probably cause I'm already weird and it encouraged me to be even MORE weird. His overall point is that we are called to be set apart, to be counter-cultural. If we blend in with the world around us, we are not reflecting Christ. And if we are reflecting Christ in our lives, we are going to be abnormal, weird, and just plain kooky in the world's eyes.

Unfortunately the book also made my head (and heart) hurt again. Another one of those little lights guiding me back out who knows where. I had realized that the spirit of hospitality--of welcoming the stranger and all that--is a huge driving force in my life. It is tied into my spiritual gifts of mercy. It was a large influence in how I approached interior design as I worked to create interior spaces that were beautiful and functional for all who used them. It also ties into my work with Kid's Hope, as I minister to the children, teachers, and the mentors when I can. But as I read the end of Weird, I remembered my big question. He asks us to think of our burden--and mine is for children who are neglected and hurting. Big neglect and the little neglect. Intentional and unintentional. And then I remembered -- what in the world does that have to do with interior design? I do remember my design portfolio (the one out of school, not from work) and how many children's projects were in it. That is a given. But I don't think that that is it. I don't know. I feel like the path has looped around on itself. Maybe it is at least making a bigger loop this time.

As a tie-in, here are some pictures of  Where Children Sleep from the New York Times a couple of days ago. I wish they had included more.

Coming soon: pictures of our new turtle town and turtle, zoo pictures, and maybe even a few pics of some sewing we've done this week before I put the machine away for Grace's big 3 party.

Comments