Paris in a day and half

Paris. These I will talk about more. Paris was much cooler, especially during the afternoon rains. The long sleeves I had packed for North Africa were perfect. I liked Paris but it seemed so gray. The sun did peek out of the clouds a bit when we walked around the Eiffel Tower. And riding on the back of the batobus on the Seine was great fun. But I think if I ever go back to France, I will search out some places with more trees.

This was on our way to the hotel. Our taxi driver was shaking his head as he drove down this street, that we were in such a bad part of town. This was pretty much the only communication he had with us the entire one hour cab ride, besides pointing at the sign to tell us that he was going to charge us extra for our luggage.

After we settled our excessive luggage into our hotel room, we headed up the hill to Sacre Couer. We made it in time for vespers, so our visit included singing to heighten the experience. Unfortunately I could not take pictures inside. It is beautiful in there. Here is a video from their website that includes views of the basilica with blue sky behind it and interior scenes (after about 3 minutes).


 The view of Paris from in front of Sacre Coeur.


After this, we had dinner. I chose a nutella banana crepe. After traveling all day, I wasn't really that hungry.

Some scenes as we walked around that evening:



After a good night's sleep, we headed out the next morning for our whirlwind tour of Paris. We walked down the street and came to L'Opera Garnier.


 And a bakery.

And a newspaper stand.

We turned right at McDonalds and wandered into the Jardin des Tuileries. Look, some blue sky!

We skipped the Louvre and climbed aboard the batobus.


More blue sky, just in time for the Eiffel Tower.


The line to go up was super long so we just wandered around for a bit and then headed on to the Musee d'Orsay. Pretend you don't see these pictures I took inside the museum.


It was lunch time so we headed back the the Jardin to a cafe there. I didn't take a picture this time. It was a ham and cheese sandwich on a baguette. With a nutella crepe for dessert.

We climbed back aboard the batobus and headed to Notre Dame.








Our next visit, Sainte Chapelle, was in the same area. We discovered that since it was in the Palace of Justice, we had to go through a long line for a security check. And we had to pay to get into this one. That was a bit of a letdown. The windows were beautiful though.



We headed back to the batobus in time for the afternoon rain. It was still raining when we deboarded so we ran through the grounds of the Louvre.

She looked like she was covering up because of the rain.


We found a cafe for dinner and I decided some French onion soup would be wonderful to warm me up after getting drenched. And it was. It doesn't look like much but it was tasty.

After we made it back to the hotel, I decided I needed one more nutella banana crepe. I finally found one, the best one of the trip, and I found this. I love art nouveau.

The next morning we flew home. I could complain again about lost and late luggage but I have it all back now. My children got their souvenirs and were happy, for the souvenirs but also that I was finally back.
I brought home this for me:


Comments

Post a Comment