One of my friends commissioned me to make a quilt and I made it into quite a challenge for myself. She wanted a king size one and gave me some direction on the colors. Knowing all of that, I worked to find a quilt with a larger block size to make it a bit easier overall.
After looking through my options, I chose an orange peel block from the Ahead of the Curve quilt in the Scrappy Quilts book. I had been eyeing in for awhile but hadn't had the guts to try it yet. Choosing it meant I needed to cut all of the pieces with scissors instead of my rotary cutter because I would trash the template trying to go around the curve. That was a lot of scissor time. And then careful piecing around the curves (my first quilt with curves!). The best part was after I got it all pieced together, I liked it. That does NOT always happen.
With the storm cancellations all last week and weekend, I was able to finish the quilting and binding much more quickly than I expected. I did bag it up on Friday after I had sandwiched it together, when the weather started looking a little iffy again. It was going with me to the basement if I had to go there.
Modeled on my queen size bed:
I finished it with a solid binding to match the 8" border around the patterned blocks, as was shown in the original pattern. I omitted an inner border that didn't fit with what I wanted to do and added a few more blocks to make it king-sized.
And that's it! It's off to the owner and I have started another one. This one is squares--precut squares--and straight line cutting using a couple of charm packs of Ansonia fabric.