The quilt began with a set of fabric I had to buy last February at Quiltcon, various pieces of French Bull's Mosaica collection. When I was finally ready to actually cut it (sometimes it takes awhile), I wanted a large scale design that would highlight the fabric.
I think at around that point I was digging through lots of books, and Kathy Doughty wrote a blog post about using large scale fabrics. I ended up using her Kismet pattern out of Material Obsession 2. Because of the large pieces, it went to together quickly. I left off the last border because the design and the fabric didn't need it. She is a huge champion of hand quilting so I tried it. It is definitely not something I will include on every quilt but it seemed a great choice for this quilt.
The backing was a mix of some larger fabric I had on hand (as was all of the fabric in the quilt). The quilting shows up best on the yellow gingham end, but I loved having an opportunity to use the Simplicity text fabric too.
So glad to have this one finished. It is one of my favorites!