fall break

We always like to spend some time away as a family for fall break. Our fall break coincides with OU Texas weekend, unlike most other schools in our state, so it usually means smaller crowds. Because of a few schedule conflicts, we has a little less time to travel and stayed in-state, checking out some of our local scenery.

But first we had a race to watch:

Then we headed home, loaded the car, and raced a bit ourselves to make it to Roman Nose State Park and get camp set up before the approaching storm and cold front. I did have a back up plan if it was raining when we arrived since I have stayed in a hotel there in Watonga, but did not need it.
And my kids have now slept in a tent in a storm. Probably wasn't on their bucket list though. Both were a great help setting up the tent, and my son took some extra precautions with the rainfly that probably helped it stay in place.

We loaded up that morning and passed a bobcat on the road, my daughter's favorite wild animal. She didn't see it as well as the two in the front seats, but was still pretty pumped. We made an early morning trip to Walmart in another town to get a few warmer things (I forgot to bring any shoes besides my usual sandals, for one), we headed north to Great Salt Plains State Park. They were both giddy when they stepped out on that sand and started digging for crystals.



He even went for a run. So much free space!

We headed back toward Roman Nose but made a few planned stops, first at the Original Sod House museum:

and then at another small state park, Gloss Mountains:

My son was hoping for "real" mountains, so he was not so impressed.

We made it back to our campsite to rest a bit and wait for dad to get there from work. He made it, surprising us by driving right up to our campsite!

The next morning was cold but beautiful.


While the guys hung out at the camp site, my daughter and I went for a short hike.






She started making plans for a birthday party up there. I told her I would NOT carry a cake up!


It was a lovely, short, cold camping trip. Yes, I thought of tossing some quilts in the car as we were packing but then forgot them (and the pancake mix). Thankfully our sleeping bags kept out most of the cold and we got to see some interesting parts of our state, while enjoying the outdoors, sunshine, and family time.

Comments