A December quilt - my oops quilt

A little over a week ago I contacted one of my friends to let her know I had finished a quilt top for her and that I expected to finish the quilt in a few days. She sent me a picture to double check the quilt she had asked for (probably because she follows me on Instagram)--and to my horror I discovered I had made the wrong one in the list.

striped chevrons

Thankfully that quilt top only used part of the fabric, so I had plenty to make the quilt she wanted. I added a few solids and then spent the next days plowing into the new quilt. I was determined to keep to my original promise that it would be ready for Christmas.

Both of these quilts were from Kitchen Table Quilting blog. The correct one was the Remixed Geese pattern and I was SO happy to see that the flying geese blocks were made in mass. I think on Thursday I bought fabric after work (or maybe on Wednesday after that lunch party and cleanup?) and then started cutting that night. It's really all a bit of a blur now that I try to even think of what I did when. The best help was that I have been off work all of this week, so I was able to photograph a finished quilt today!



It was a sunny day (after several gray days) so I loaded up the kids and the quilt to get us all outside. We made a short drive to Sulphur to visit the Chickasaw National Recreation Area. We took some quilt pictures and then one of us went for a run, while the other two went for a run/hike.





The backing was a fabric I had chosen for the first quilt, with some trepidation. It was a bit of a contrast with the lighter feel of that quilt. With the additional solids and bolder colors of this quilt, it is a much better fit. Another win!

We weren't done exploring but were ready to eat at noon, so we loaded up to drive to the Chickasaw Cultural Center. As we drove through a tree lined portion, I remembered that we had seen deer at the park last time we were there. Not two seconds later my son is yelling "deer!" so I stopped. I couldn't see them, but after I stopped the car, one stepped out from the shadows at the side and started across. And then another and another and another. There were five in all!

On to the Chickasaw Cultural Center:





I could just bring a bunch of quarters and hang out here next time. They loved feeding the fish.


I always like to try someplace to new when we make a return visit, so this time we added the Bedre Cafe. It was a big hit!


So thankful to have this quilt done on time and a warm, sunny day to celebrate with my kids. Tomorrow, not so much! A perfect day to clean the sewing room, maybe? Or take a big nap.

Comments

  1. Oops!! Lucky thing that she double checked her order. Congrats on meeting the original deadline for completion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment