The July quilt - Gates



I surprised myself and was able to finish a quilt before the month was over! An easy quilt design definitely helped.


This quilt is a gift for someone turning 16 soon. I texted a bit with her mom to try to figure out where to go with her design. She likes understated designs and seemed to like blue and white combinations. One of her quilt "likes" was this pattern by Denyse Schmidt.

                           Between the Lines packaging

So I thought a bit, and then headed off to Peru. As I mentioned before, I spent a lot of time each day watching the city through bus windows. One of the things I noticed was window grilles, and in designs that would translate well to quilts. I didn't get a lot of pictures of them since we were moving--sometimes I sketched them.  Or if we stopped trying to make a crazy narrow turn I could get one with my phone. I think this was in Collique.


On one of the days, maybe when we were walking to paint, we passed a double door gate and it grabbed my attention. The square metal tubing formed angles similar to the Between the Lines quilt above, but bigger. And it had circles across the middle, which translated into  circles of color rather than circular lines would be great to feature larger pieces of the fabric. And the birthday girl was on the trip. So that's what I did.



Yes I am noticing a white difference in the sunlight and in this picture. We are going to just take a deep breath, ignore that, and move on. Found a polka dot flannel for the back for added weight, warmth (when it is not July), and just liked this fabric pattern for this quilt. 




Now on to clean the sewing room and see what quilt projects I put aside a few months ago. I am remembering a flying geese quilt. My son also ventured to the fabric store with me to get the backing and somehow we are now going to make a shirt together. Or maybe he is making with me explaining? Hoping for the best. 








Comments