first quilt of the year: fruit stripe

I had planned to finish this in December so it could be my last quilt of the year, but as I was struggling with it on New Year's Eve, trying to quilt it in the goofy concentric squares that seemed like a good idea before I started, I decided that this would be a great first quilt of the year.

I think I finished it on New Year's Day but then needed to wait for weather and time to take some photos. We had a surprise snow fall overnight and here we are:



This quilt began with a stack of fabric, the saturated pinks, purples, and oranges half of a set of Cotton and Steel fat eighths pack I ordered as some point. As I thougth about what to do with it, I found a pattern I had printed (also at some point) called Patchwork Square in a Square from The Sometimes Crafter blog. I used Kona Charcoal to ground the color a bit. I alternated the layout of that block to make the second block, something that seems fairly common on quilts and gave it some energy.

Once I started cutting, I added some more fabric from my stash bins that coordinated to make sure I had enough for some variety. And then towards the end I added some more to make sure I had enough to finish the 5 x 5 block layout I wanted. A patterned backing didn't seem to fit, so I went with same Charcoal solid for the backing and the binding. And then quilted in square after square. I still need to do more thread trimming, but the snow was melting and some sledding needed to happen!



Comments