January quilt 2- ray of sunshine

Was able to take some photos of my latest quilt finish a couple of days ago, when there was a bit more sun and warmth. My quilt holders get a bit grumpy when it's cold and windy, and so do I.



This one is all scraps. I started with the pinks, hoping to use all of them. I almost did, except for some larger pieces that fall in the middle of "scraps" and "the ones big enough to put on the shelf." After working with it for awhile, I felt like I wanted another color in it but wasn't sure what I wanted. Then I saw a collection of pink and yellow sketches by Tonia Dee in an Uppercase magazine. They were beautiful and that was that. So I added a stripe of yellow scraps.

I was able to do the same for the back:



I decided to go with my standard meandering free motion quilting and was SO much happier with that, both the process and the final look of the quilt. I love when I am finished with a quilt and think it is beautiful.

I've also been trying to sketch and draw more, and have recently been watching a short class by Alisa Burke on travel journaling. After looking back through some of my previous travel sketches, I noticed I left space in my notebook when I traveled to Istanbul. So I've been adding some pictures and more into that space.


I didn't have space to do too much more, but it helped me think through what to do and not do next time I travel. It was fun looking through the pictures from that trip too (I took a lot).

Comments