an April quilt - Ocean Waves

I've been looking through my quilt books lately for inspiration, and also to see if some of them need to be passed on to our local library.  I came across one in the recent Quilt with Tula and Angela (not me) that looked interesting, one called Woven Sunshine. As you might guess from the title it features yellow and gold fabrics, with a bit of teal thrown in. I am low on yellow and thought through my options. I have noticed that all of the quilts I have made this year are pink, so I also ruled out that color. After pulling a few colors I settled on blue--a true blue. I remember sitting in my dorm room a LONG time ago, thinking about what an awesome room I could make with blue walls, wooden floors, and a fuzzy white rug. When we bought our house, my sewing room walls were painted that blueprint blue, the color of glowing stained glass windows, and are still that color. And now I have my own quilt in that color.



I followed the directions for the most part, but adapted it to the fat quarters and other random sizes I had on hand. It is a bit smaller that the 6' x 6' original and that's ok.


Keeping with the "use what I have" theme of this quilt, I dug through the larger cuts I had and selected this flannel I bought on one of those almost free flannel sales. Like the quilt in the book, I quilted it with wavy lines although not as densely as the original. I fought it most of the time, even with my walking foot attachment. Finally when I was about 3/4's done, I decided to try the other walking foot attachment I had in the drawer and SURPRISE, I was using the wrong one. I finished it up much happier and relieved.



Tossing this into the wash--I love them better after their first wash--and then will be ready to snuggle under it and decide which quilt to make next.

Comments