the first quilt of 2020--and the zoo

This month I took my time with this quilt. I had several that needed to be completed before Christmas and it was time for a break. My sewing machine was in the shop for a much needed cleaning. I had my daughter's machine thankfully, so I was able to finish what I needed to but January is just a slow down month.

This quilt came from a pile of leftover flannel backing scraps. I sorted out the ones that would work together colorwise and then decided to use Magic Numbers for the block sizes. I cut them and then had to just sit a bit with it. I had to make myself play around with the layout, which was surprisingly difficult. I ended up building to different row patterns, alternating those until I used up most of the pieces.



In keeping with the whole "use what you have" theme of this quilt, I decided to use a piece of fabric given to me in someone else's clean up, this Strawberry Shortcake one from back in the day.


This quilt will likely be a donation to a local organization, along with a couple of fleece tied pillows and a fleece blanket that I have had ready to donate for far to long.

As happens every so often, when I uploaded these pictures I discovered the pictures I had taken from our trip to the zoo on Christmas eve. It was unseasonably warm and we hadn't been in a while. I think there might have even been a discount that day.


He has always loved the reptiles.


Creepy, but fascinating camouflage.









I don't have any major goals for quilts in 2020. I am working on an improv one with solids, which will likely be my February finish. Once it is warmer I plan to dig out the indigo dye set I bought 2 years ago (!) and see what I can make with that. I hope to do more idea sketches in my notebook. I am a bit over-planning in some other parts of my life right now (I have quite the reading list planned)--and really quite ok with just taking on the quilts as I get to them.

Comments