February quilts

It is mid February and somehow I have finished two quilts. It helped that they are both smaller, more baby size. And that we had some snow days.

The first I finished this month was this smallish one I made to use the doggie fabric I bought last February on my trip to Nashville. I found it while looking through my fabrics and pulled it out to see what other fabrics I had that could go with it. I ended up with a stack, and decided to go ahead and work on it. I cut the novelty fabric in squares, but did wait to do that until I was sure what size the other blocks were going to be. Those were made of three strips of the coordinating fabrics.



I decided to use this light blue fabric I had for the backing, and to use it for the binding as well since it was a smaller quilt. I used this tutorial from Allison at Cluck Cluck Sew to make sure I did it correctly, and love how it turned out.


My next project started out as a pixel heart project, but I hit a wall on some of the color options. As I dug through my red bin for any alternatives, I noticed it was jammed full. I could hardly pull any out. So I moved the other project aside, and dumped the red scraps on the floor. I found an idea online this time, from Diary of A Quilter and a related post, and started in. I think at the beginning I was working on 8 of the blocks at a time, chain piecing on a bit to each one. Then I added more as I saw how much I still had left:


Finally ended with 16 block and approximately 4 foot square. That was enough. I have a 6-8" strip of red scraps left that will get worked into another one, either as a strip or cut somehow.

the front

and the back


Comments