a quilt for Grace (again)

Since she has been home all day all most everyday starting in March, my daughter has spent a lot of time moving furniture around, cleaning, and redecorating her room. She even painted a mural at one point, repainting over an open area she had left for just that sort of thing. She even made an inspiration board on her laptop to help communicate to me the colors and feel she was going for, which made it easy to add a few pillows and guide her a little toward she already had that would work. As part of that she asked for a new quilt. I started pulling a few fabrics and then she stepped in and added way more. I added a few solids in to provide a bit of balance (and removed a few fabrics that were not going to mesh well together, either because of color or fabric type). She even did a loose sketch of what she had in mind. So I started in on it, and because of the ease of this style of strip quilt, I was able to finish a few weeks early.


We are going to call this peach, apricot, and yellow with a bit of deep red. Not orange.



Since this in not my usual color schemes, I did not really have any large pieces of fabric to use for the backing. We were doing some indigo dying at the time and I suggested we could probably find a sheet to tie dye. She jumped all over that, even trying to do some glue resist. That ended up more frustrating than it was worth with this size backing but she had fun and was able to collaborate on her quilt even more that way. We had to use Rit Dye rather than a prepackaged tie-day kit since those were sold out. We will see how well the dye stays long term.


You can sort of see one of the stars she put on here with the glue resist technique. There was also a sun, but I really couldn't see it anymore. She may have ended up overdying some of the areas after rinsing, so that may have covered her original design.


All in all, it was a fun collaboration to create something beautiful together.

Comments

  1. I absolutely LOVE Grace's new quilt!! Front AND back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty colors, front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to make lemonade out of a definite lemon of a year. I love your/her solution to needing a backing, too. Truly a two-sided quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment