November and December quilts

My last two quilts of the year were twins of a sort. The first was a commissioned baby quilt, with fabric provided from her family members. Some pieces were even fabric from her own baby clothes. Others provided memorable pieces from their own clothes or novelty fabric that would be meaningful to the recipient.





The pattern is from Annie's Craft Store and is called Butterfly Collection. We did deviate a little from the pattern by appliqueing some smaller butterflies on the solid squares in the pattern layout. That helped get more of the family's fabric onto the quilt--the smaller pieces that didn't fit the wings. They chose a rose minky backing. I was so glad I could hand it off to the family in person, because it would have been heavy to ship!

My next quilt was for a friend of my daughter who is here visiting from out of state for a few months. After my daughter saw the butterfly quilt, she asked if I could make one for her friend--in purple. I had to double check the timing and then said yes. I made one major change to this version. I wanted to piece the upper wings from purple scraps (and other fabric I had). I used white Kona cotton for the solid background on this one. 




My daughter decided to pick a lavender flannel for the backing--which was on a delightful sale that day. 

In between these two, I made a few Christmas dish towels for co-workers in the office. And a LOT of desserts for early Christmas parties. 



Thinking through what quilt I would like to make next after the holidays. I probably have a few ideas already stashed away in a bin or two. 

Comments