Some catching up to do

The end of summer a whirlwind. I am just now feeling a bit caught up and thought this would be a good time to post how our family ended the summer. My son participates in cross country running so that meant some early mornings for most of the summer. It is just too hot to run safely later in the day. One of those mornings though, it was storming at practice time, and they were told to run later that day on their own. So I dragged him to the zoo to run. We each went our own way and met back together to change and then check out some of his favorites. He hadn't been able to go when I went a few weeks earlier with my daughter and her friend.

He's taken this picture nearly every time we have been to the zoo, and he's ALMOST there.

We lasted til lunch, then I took him to Big Truck Tacos and finished off with a short walk down the street to Cuppies and Joe for dessert.
And then I think we both went home and took a nap.

My daughter participated in a music camp at our church and her first performance was that night. The kids had a blast all week, and both performances were great.

The following morning was supposed to be a cross country run, but it was storming so eventually it was cancelled. So we headed home and got ready for  ... a birthday party! My daughter celebrated her 9th birthday, indoors. It was originally going to be a soccer party, and we did what we could, but it kind of ended up being an arts and crafts party.



Tons of art supplies. Her friends know her well!

That afternoon my family came over to celebrate my dad's party, without power half of the time. At least it was cool that day.

Sunday was the second performance of the kid's concert, and maybe a soccer practice? Monday was my daughter's real birthday and our last full day together (minus dad) before school started. So after cross country practice, we went back to OKC to do a mural tour. One of my daughter's presents was a camera and she was excited to get to try it out.

We didn't go see all of them, mainly sticking to those along Western and in the Plaza district, where we stopped for lunch.
Grace at nine.

Then they started school and I never really get pictures of all of that. I think about it some but usually if I even remember, the pictures just look weird. Mostly we are just trying to get out the door with everyone's lunches and backpacks and whatever else they need. So that brings us to last weekend, which was a combo preseason soccer tournament with a Saturday morning preseason cross country race thrown in there just to make sure we didn't waste any early morning daylight.



The one night game was great--so much cooler--except that it was a late night before the cross country race that morning, and a lot of the boys were running on fumes. This weekend will be less strenuous for the runners on the team, since the soccer season doesn't start for another couple of weeks. It is so great though to see them all push themselves and work to do hard things, and have fun with their friends in the process. 

Comments